How to Speak Film with Gerry Paquette

A collection of "how-to" guides from our experienced members.
StarHopper

Post by StarHopper »

Hey there!

I'm currently working on a series of videos that visualize the film making methods described in the excellent Grammar of the Film Language book.

This web series is not only intended as a teaching tool for my Cinematics students, but also serves to educate the Muvizu community.

Please review this rough cut of the first episode and let me know if you understand it all or not and to what extent.

UPDATE: Here's the finished product:

https://youtu.be/3skkrnS-Y18

Thanks to all who commented :D

For comparison, you can read the associated chapter in this preview of the book:

http://a.co/eTrMVFA
Last edited by StarHopper on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiritworld - My 360 animated series created with Muvizu: https://www.facebook.com/Ectolini/

Ziggy72

Re: How to Speak Film with Gerry Paquette

Post by Ziggy72 »

That's really well done and laid out. When playing back the examples under your voice over you should probably mute them, but other than that it works and gets the message across. And that is a cool shirt :)

StarHopper

Post by StarHopper »

Ziggy72 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm
That's really well done and laid out. When playing back the examples under your voice over you should probably mute them, but other than that it works and gets the message across. And that is a cool shirt :)
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when I do the final mix.
Spiritworld - My 360 animated series created with Muvizu: https://www.facebook.com/Ectolini/

animall

Post by animall »

Hi,
This is a great introduction to the series you intend to produce and a great idea. Very well understood. However you have set yourself a mammoth task. The book itself has 624 pages and since it was first published in 1976, it become more less an industry bible. This book is not intended for the novice and there is a prerequisite of some knowledge about film/video production as well as the vocabulary.
I have been in the industry for many years myself, but there is always something new to learn. Have you consider to do the basic extract course from the book? If this is successful, make an advance one, which may include scenes from the first one, but goes into more depth. The point I want to get across is, that these days people want everything instant. If you take the into "deep waters" from the start, you have big chance to loose them. On the other hand with the basic extract course you don't spend too much time for the production, the word gets around, so more people will be interested in your course. Thirdly, those who survive your basic extract course will be glad to jump on your advance one and most probably happily to pay for it. Lets face it, you are providing a valuable info, for which people would have to pay serious money if they go to the film school. I share your excitement and at the same time I am aware of the most valuable commodity - The TIME. Cheers :)

drewi

Post by drewi »

By way of encouragement, I would like to say I enjoyed it very much and hope to see further episodes/chapters. 8-)

StarHopper

Post by StarHopper »

animall wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:52 pm
Hi,
This is a great introduction to the series you intend to produce and a great idea. Very well understood. However you have set yourself a mammoth task. The book itself has 624 pages and since it was first published in 1976, it become more less an industry bible. This book is not intended for the novice and there is a prerequisite of some knowledge about film/video production as well as the vocabulary.
I have been in the industry for many years myself, but there is always something new to learn. Have you consider to do the basic extract course from the book? If this is successful, make an advance one, which may include scenes from the first one, but goes into more depth. The point I want to get across is, that these days people want everything instant. If you take the into "deep waters" from the start, you have big chance to loose them. On the other hand with the basic extract course you don't spend too much time for the production, the word gets around, so more people will be interested in your course. Thirdly, those who survive your basic extract course will be glad to jump on your advance one and most probably happily to pay for it. Lets face it, you are providing a valuable info, for which people would have to pay serious money if they go to the film school. I share your excitement and at the same time I am aware of the most valuable commodity - The TIME. Cheers :)
Not to worry, I too have many years of industry experience both in animation and education.

The Cinematics course I teach is a single semester within a 3-year Game Development program. So, I have precious little time to convey the essentials needed for visual communication as it applies to film and video games. My plan is to cherry pick the best elements of the book that are also the easiest to implement. The book itself will be recommend for those who want to learn more.

When completed, I expect the series to include 10 to 15 episodes of around 5 minutes each.

My secondary goal is to make the film making process as easy to implement for Muvizu users as the existing animation system.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

StarHopper

Post by StarHopper »

drewi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:25 am
By way of encouragement, I would like to say I enjoyed it very much and hope to see further episodes/chapters. 8-)
Thanks! I'll proceed to finalize the first episode and continue working on the second episodes which will focus on some of the basic tools of film making.

animall

Post by animall »

StarHopper wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:14 pm
animall wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:52 pm
Hi,
Not to worry, I too have many years of industry experience both in animation and education.

The Cinematics course I teach is a single semester within a 3-year Game Development program. So, I have precious little time to convey the essentials needed for visual communication as it applies to film and video games. My plan is to cherry pick the best elements of the book that are also the easiest to implement. The book itself will be recommend for those who want to learn more.

When completed, I expect the series to include 10 to 15 episodes of around 5 minutes each.

My secondary goal is to make the film making process as easy to implement for Muvizu users as the existing animation system.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.
Hi,
I think that this is a great approach. "My plan is to cherry pick the best elements of the book". It certainly will be more entertaining for your students as well as encourage them to get more involved. All the best to your project. Thumbs up.