unrealistic shadows on objects created on Sketchup

Post your questions here.
JoAn

unrealistic shadows on objects created on Sketchup

Post by JoAn »

Hello
The objects I draw under Shetchup and that I export to the ase format all have unpleasant and unrealistic shades. I use Sketchup recently and I can not find information on this topic. Is there any special preparation of the model before export?
Would the result be better in Blender?
I hope someone can solve my problem because I have a whole village to create!
Thank you in advance for your help.

Ziggy72

Re: unrealistic shadows on objects created on Sketchup

Post by Ziggy72 »

This is a common problem with the way Muvizu renders shadows on certain geometries. To fix it, you have Fazz it - Fazzing is the unofficial name we gave it after user Fazz68 pointed out that you just have to use the Offset tool to create an inner edge on problem surfaces. There used to be a wiki entry about it, but the Muvizu wiki appears to have vanished. Here are a couple of images from that wiki that helped explain it, and how effective it was.

It's straight forward on flat surfaces, but on curves you have to hold down CTRL (I think) to get the offset to work as expected. Hope that helps.

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc »

JoAn

Post by JoAn »

Merci beaucoup !!!!!!

Ziggy72

Post by Ziggy72 »

Thanks Doc, it's just the links on the Muvizu home page that no longer work then. Good to know the wiki lives!

Doc
Site Admin

Post by Doc »

Ziggy72 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:42 pm
Thanks Doc, it's just the links on the Muvizu home page that no longer work then. Good to know the wiki lives!
It's only a carbon copy of the wiki before the old one went down unfortunately - no ability to add new articles and such